INDEPENDENT MEDIA COMMISSION
The Independent Media Commission was established by an Act of Parliament in 2000 as amended in 2006 and 2007 repealed and replaced by the IMC 2020 Act, to provide for the registration and regulation of mass media institutions in Sierra Leone licensing institutions engaged in radio, television or direct to home digital satellite service broadcasting and registration of persons and institutions engaged in the publication of newspapers, magazines in Sierra Leone and to provide for other related matters.
The Commission currently seeks to fill the position of: – SeniorMonitoring, Research and Project Officer
Reports to – The Executive Secretary
Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist the Executive Secretary of the IMC and Chairpersons of Committees with research and production of relevant data in pursuit of the development and implementation of programmes and projects of the Commission.
- To review reports from IMC’s monitors’ nationwide, calling attention to breaches of the IMC Act and Media Code of Practice and writing analytical reviews/pieces on complaints, media performance and activities for internal and external use.
- To develop concept notes/project proposals for funding in collaboration with the Executive Secretary.
- To supervise Assistant Monitoring, Research and Project Officers and field based National Media Monitors of the Commission.
- To input information into a database on media content, percentage of media coverage and issues and support the writing of narrative and graphic reports, and power point presentations to be used for varied publics including government, the private sector, the media constituency and partners.
- To assist the Executive Secretary, Committees and the Board with research activities and the collection of relevant data in the development and implementation of projects and programmes of the Commission.
- To develop annual plan of operation and progress report.
- To receive reports from the IMC’s Media Monitors countrywide and call the attention of theChairman and Executive Secretary to breaches of the IMC Act and Media Code of Practice detailed in a reports for timely action by the Board.
- To identify the strength and weaknesses of the media through effective monitoring of media institutions; and to design training programmes to address the weaknesses so as to improve the efficiency and professionalism of the media.
- To create a comprehensive data base of all media institutions.
- To oversee the compilation and production of the National Media Watch.
- Any other duties assigned by the Chairman and Executive Secretary.
- You will be required to work closely with the Executive Secretary.
Qualification, Experience and Requirements
Applicants must have a degree in Media/Communication/Journalism/Administration or related discipline from a recognized University with 5years working experience in a similar field.
Candidates must be competent in the following areas:-
- Must be Computer literate.
- Strong Administrative Skills
- Strong Report Writing Skills
- Strong Skills in Project writing
- Good Communicator
- A good Team Player
- Experience in working with the media is an added advantage
Applicants must be between 35 – 50years old.
Applicants should forward their letter of applications and updated Curriculum Vitae including the names of three (3) referees to the:
The Executive Secretary
Independent Media Commission
3rd Floor, Kissy House
54 Siaka Stevens Street
Freetown. Not later than 16th August, 2021, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Fields of study:
35 to 50years.